Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:59:35 +0000
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch Arch <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Flex update

--uk6W7isEeLAaRh3S

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 04:23:00AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:42:15PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > Is there some reason that flex has never been updated from 2.4.5a?
>=20
> It depends on what you mean by "updated".
>=20
> The usual answer is the sourceforge project.
> It's not exactly an "update", since it breaks existing applications,
> and its maintainer is unwilling to address those problems.
>=20
> Debian for instance has old/new versions.
>=20
> I don't use either - see
>=20
> 	http://invisible-island.net/reflex/
>=20
> (earlier this year, Baptiste Daroussin suggested some additional changes
> to this version, along the lines of the ones I incorporated into byacc).
>=20
> --=20
> Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
> http://invisible-island.net
> ftp://invisible-island.net

reflex seems like a better solution for us than upgrade to flex (from
sourceforge) imho, flex depends on m4 and on some gnu m4 extensions, normal=
ly
our version of m4 is now compatible with gnu m4 (I added some missing bits
recently) but still I don't think having flex using m4 is a good idea, and
reflex looks cleaner in that area.

reflex is just missing imho one feature from flex (sourceforge version) tha=
t is
ability to generate reentrant code.

I already imported byacc from invisible island, I was supposed to add some
"fixes" to byacc (bde has spotted) and provide them to Thomas, sorry I have
been slacking in that area recently.

Once that is done, I have on my todo list importing reflex to replace our f=
lex.
I did feel any hurry in that area, as I don't think we are missing too much
features, is there one you are particulary interested on? I was waiting for
reflex to support reentrant code generation before importing it.

regards,
Bapt

--uk6W7isEeLAaRh3S

--uk6W7isEeLAaRh3S--