Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:56:59 -0400
From:      "Jerold McAllister" <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Subject:   Re: question about fortune at login

David Kelly writes:

> On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Jonathan Horne wrote:
>
>> what is the proper way to disable fortune?  i deleted the .login  file
>> from my
>> homedir... and it still runs at login!

Look and see where it is being invoked.   That is commonly in .login
but could be in any file.  If you are using sh or bash it might be
coming from .profile.    It could also be in .cshrc (for csh or tcsh).

> Depends on what shell you are using, but with tcsh moving ~/.login to
> ~/dot.login ended fortune for me via ssh login.
>
> What I don't much care for is the large /etc/motd which ships stock  with
> FreeBSD. So that and /etc/hosts are the only files I hack and  override
> manually when using mergemaster.

The motd is supposed to be frequently update.  It was originally intended
for the system manager to post messages to users about whatever was
happening to the system - such as a notice that it would be down for
maintenance that evening.   That is why it was called 'Message Of The Day'.

////jerry