Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:41:59 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blocks

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Jason McKay wrote:

> I am adding disk quotas to my FreeBSD 2.2.2 system, just a couple of
> questions ...
>
> 1. What is the difference between soft and hard quotas in the edquota

See the section on quatas in the Handbook. When the user reaches the soft
limit he can still allocate more space for a "grace period" (one week by
default), during which he receives warnings that he's past his limit.
After this grace period the soft limit becomes the hard limit. The user
can never allocate more space than the hard limit allows (or more than
the soft limit once the grace period is through).

> 2. The quotas are measured in blocks ... hows manys blocks are a megabyte?

1 block = 512 bytes, so 2048 blocks make a megabyte. This is true, by
default, of all the disk-related utilities, such as df, disklabel, ls -s,
etc...

> Thanks,
> Jason.

Nadav