Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:31:42 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.6 logfile rotation - newsyslog

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 07:14:09AM -0400, Michael Lucas wrote:

> I have the apache+php3-1.3.6+3.0.12 package installed, and want to
> rotate the logs on a daily basis.  My /etc/newsyslog.conf includes:
>
> /var/log/apache_access_log              644  7      *   24    Z
> /var/log/apache_error_log               644  7      *   24    Z
>
> Apache logs just fine, but once the log rotates, it stops logging.
> The new log only contains the "logfile turned over" statement.
>
> If I hup apache, it starts logging just fine.
>
> This setup worked fine under Apache 1.2x without PHP.

I don't know about Apache 1.2, but the current apache will continue to
log to the old log file, even after rotation. It will only close it
after its gets a HUP signal. You need to add an extra field to your
newsyslog config to tell it to send a HUP to the apache server after a
rotation. See the man page.

--
See complete headers for more info