Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 23:23:36 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@cslab.vt.edu>
Cc:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan), security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

> Yes ;)  I hit the wrong sequence of keys out of habit and sent the
> message when I meant not to.  Sorry.  What I wanted to respond to was:
>
> > > Now, to cover my own butt, I have to add that I'm not a lawyer,
> > > nor do I play one on TV or the net.  I *can* read, though, and
> > > have read a lot on this subject: often by people who *do* play
> > > lawyers on the net.
>
> Although I don't claim to understand much about this whole issue, many
> of the net.lawyers (and probably a few real ones too ;) think
> Zimmermann is not guilty, but that hasn't stopped the DoJ from
> prosecuting him (last I heard).  Perhaps Rodney is simply taking the
> position that he isn't willing to risk it, even if it seems like
> importing crypto software isn't relaly illegal in all cases.  The
> entire FreeBSD core team has gone to great lengths to avoid any further
> confrontations with USL, despite the beliefs of many well informed
> people who thought their lawsuit was groundless/pointless/useless/
> frivilous/etc.  Perhaps that lesson is carrying over into this issue...

This debate has been very informative for me. I relised this was a problem,
but I did not realise it was difficult as this to research. :-( :-( :-(

I have the whole ITAR document now, and it is my intention to STUDY the
bugger to see what it says. That should be definitive enough?

BTW - and this is a BIIIG `BTW': Are all parties aware that our current
DES library was written in Australia? Likewise eBones (By the same author
as DES). A different Australian wrote our DES crypt(3) and friends.

If we are scared of prosecution, _now_ is the time to divest ourselves
of the cruft...

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200