Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:20:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        logix@foobar.franken.de (Harold Gutch)
Cc:        beattie@aracnet.com (Brian Beattie), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDF

It seems Harold Gutch wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 09:29:58AM +0100, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> > It seems Brian Beattie wrote:
> > > I have been looking at UDF ( the filesystem used on CD-RW and DVD's ).  I
> > > was wondering if anybody was working on it.  I'm thinking about trying to
> > > implement it for CD-RW's and would like to avoid duplication of effort and
> > > the anoyance of getting half way through the effort and having somebody
> > > else show up with a completed implementation.
> >
> > I have it on my TODO list, but I'm not started yet, and probably wont for
> > some time to come.
> > The reason I've put it on the backburner for now, is that DVD's can
> > be read using the cd9660 filesystem, and that is sufficient for my
> > needs for the time being.
>
> I was under the impression that this was only possible as long as
> the DVDs actually had an ISO9660 filesystem as well - which all
> of my DVDs have, but which still doesn't mean that there are no
> DVDs with only UDF, but no ISO9660 filesystem.

I'm pretty sure all DVD's produced to date have an iso9660 file sys
on them, but they might change that in the future, so having UDF
support would be a win for us in the long run.

Again, I'll do the needed things in the ata driver for packet writing
etc, but I dont have the time to take on UDF right now...

-Søren