Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:57:16 -0400
From:      Chris Laco <claco@summitracing.com>
To:        Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Jason Stone <freebsd-security@dfmm.org>, security-officer@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Just a lurker, and FreeBSD users since late 3.0...

> 	Problem is performance and trust in stability. It's
> money and hardware independent problem.
>
> 	5.x has significant performance hit, so we can't count
> it as competitive replacement for 4.x. 6.1 is second release
> in 6.x tree. 6.0 has stability problem. The 6.1 is
> sufficiently stable on average use, but it still has problems
> in edge situations. The 6.2 become first RELEASE in 6.x tree
> acceptable for serious production use. 6.3 will be candidate
> for first trustable RELEASE if there will not be significant
> problem with 6.2. It's nothing special on major version
> changes - 3.0 has been buggy, 4.0 has been buggy, 5.0 has
> been almost unusable. It's common for other systems also -
> first usable release of Novell Netware in 3.x tree has been
> 3.11 (after buggy 3.0 and 3.1), but stable release has been
> 3.12 for example.

Oddly enough, I've heard this very sentiment elsewhere this week. Take the
post with a grain of salt, but it does touch on the matter.

http://use.perl.org/~scrottie/journal/31273

>From my personal experience of (4) 4.x machines and (1) 5.x  machine, all on
the same hardware, I've had more problems with my 5.x install than I ever
did with my 4.x install. I'm afraid to even look to see if 6.0 will run on
it.

Just another $0.000000002.

-=Chris