Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:15:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountmsdosfs(): Warning: ......

This is a -questions question.  Actually, it's a mail archive question,
but that's OK.

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Keith Jones wrote:

> When I mount MSDOS partitions on to my FreeBSD system (2.2.5R) the following
> warning appears:
>
>      mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the cluster-
>      size in length
>
> This is expected; my DOS version is >3.3 and the man page is pretty clear
> about that. 3.0C apparently has the same problem (according to the manpage
> on www.freebsd.org). Is support for DOS >3.3 planned/is someone working on
> this/is a patch available?

The problem is really that you've used FIPS to shrink a drive, and you
shrank the drive below the threshold for changing the standard
clustersize.  The msdosfs code isn't intelligent enough to grok the
proper clustersize, so it spits that out.

You should _*IMMEDIATELY*_ dismount the disk and not mount it until you
reformat the DOS disk.  Damage to the MSDOS and possibly the FreeBSD
filesystems will result if you use the FS when you receive the warning.

If you need access to that disk from FreeBSD, install and use the mtools
distribution instead.  Mtools in in ports.