Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:51:35 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        RGireyev@BellInd.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Post installation stuff

RGireyev@BellInd.com wrote:

> I have been able to successfully install 2.1.7 on a
> 5x86 120, 16M RAM, 850HD. I tried using system
> commander but kept getting read error. Anyway, I ended
> up using the default MBR handler and it works just fine.
>
> Question 1: I would like to have my prompt (PS1)
> to always show me the directory path I'm in (pwd)
> In HP-UX land (Korn shell) it's PS1='$PWD'.
> Any suggestions.

Don't know this stuff yet. I only work in sh/bash.

> Question 2: After installing the system I created
> a user, me. And assigned him (me) to the group wheel.

Are you sure you assigned "me" to wheel? If you did you should be able
to su root. Read /etc/group to know for sure.

> But I cannot do su or shutdown, what would be a

Shutdown must be done as root. I think that the permissions for shutdown
are user only can execute. Sorry in windoze right now so I can't check.

> better group choice (bin comes to mind but I wanna
> be sure)

Don't use bin, operator etc. These are for program and daemons. Use
wheel for a user that you want to have super-user priveleges. Use a
group of your own creation for the other users. I use group "user"
myself. This is mostly my opinion and not necessarily fact based.

CYA
--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net