Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 20:17:17 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@leonardo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ISP hangs up on PPP right after password

	I've got one I've never seen before.  On some of its POPs, my ISP
hangs up the phone as soon as I send my password.  On other POPs, same ISP,
my account works fine.

	Here's the kicker: on the "bad" POPs, Windows 95 logs in just fine
using the same username and password.

	I've tried this in a terminal window using "tip".  I can't see that
the ISP is sending anything after I send my password; it just hangs up
the phone, quickly.  The other POPs on the same ISP send a bunch of PPP
binary stuff, as expected.

	What bizarre sort of PPP server acts like this?  I've tried
"set openmode active" to no effect.  I'm running iijppp on 2.2.1.

Mike O'Brien