Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:19:27 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        dweimer@dweimer.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd problems after port updates

On Apr 23, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
> I am running NTPD built from ports on system that has had world rebuilt without ntp.  After doing some port updates this morning to the latest OpenSSL which caused ntp to rebuild as its built against the OpenSSL port.  ntpd now core dumps at start, in order to attempt and resolve the issue I tried starting ntpd with the -d switch added, at which point it loads fine without any problems.

If you run 'ldd /usr/local/bin/ntpd', that might be informative.

> Only option checked when doing make config on the port is the with OpenSSL option.

Consider not doing this-- OpenSSL has a much worse security history than ntpd itself does.  In particular, the ASN.1 parser is infamous for trouble, such as CVE-2012-2110.

> if I execute: /usr/local/bin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
> The result is a signal 11 core dump.

Run gdb against ntpd and the coredump you've gotten to see the crash backtrace.  Or run ntpd under gdb.

Regards,
--
-Chuck