Date:      Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:47:30 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for opinions: what is spam

I've been having a tough couple of months and I just had some
things happen today that are causing me to re-evaluate some of
my beliefs.

One thing, central to this, is where do you draw the line
between promotion and spam?

I'll give the example that really got me thinking:

Got an email today through the "moreinfo@" address for my
company, which is listed on the web site on the contact
page.  The email stated that "I got your email from a
list server".
Now, technically this is a lie, because the "moreinfo@" address
is _never_ used to _send_ mail, so it would never appear on
any list server.
I can see what _might_ have been done, however.  Notice my
sig below.  Now, that'll be on list servers for any list I post
to and this guy may have stopped by the web site, checked out
the contact page for the address, and sent me the mail.

So my first question is: "Is this spam?"

But the deeper, underlying question is: "Where do I draw the line
with promotional activities?"  This is _the_ key question for my
business right now, because we _must_ promote to be successful,
but there are obviously some ways of promotion that are simply
unethical.
An example is that I recently posted to the jobs@freebsd.com list
an announcement about my company and that we're seeking new customers.
To me, that's what that particular list is for.  I would never
have posted such an announcement to questions@ or any other FreeBSD
list.  I received one complaint that it was an inapprorpiate posting,
and while I don't know how many people subscribe to that list, I'm
assuming that that's a pretty low percentage that I offended.
(On the flip side, I'm wishing I had never posted it, since it resulted
in no new business for me. IOW it was totally ineffective and made
me 1 enemy)
I don't want to get too long winded at this point, but beyond the spam
questions, what kind of promotion do you guys consider legetimate and
what do you consider "over the top"?  How about cold-calling?  Our
current budget simply won't allow for magazine or similar advertising
at this point, so what should we do?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology