Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:23:17 -0500
From:      David Horn <dhorn2000@gmail.com>
To:        Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m@icg-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: duplicity ftp backup / ncftp no longer working since 8.0-Release

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Manfred Usselmann
<usselmann.m@icg-online.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since my upgrade to 8.0-RELEASE my backup solution with duplicity is no
> longer working because ncftpput fails.
>
> The error message from ncftp 3.2.2_1: Could not read reply from control
> connection -- timed out.
>
> S.a. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=140934
>
> Does anybody know a solution or a workaround?

I have seen this with ncftpput as well, but at least in my case, it
was a warning, and not a fatal error.  Check your ftp server to see if
the backup file has indeed been transferred.

I believe that there is something unusual going on with the checking
on select() return in ncftp3.  If you change every instance of
select() result checking in ftp/ncftp3 from "==1" to ">=1" the problem
seems to go away.

result = select(sfd + 1, NULL, SELECT_TYPE_ARG234 &ss, NULL,
SELECT_TYPE_ARG5 &tv);
-if (result == 1) {
+if (result >= 1) {

Good Luck.