Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:41:39 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@lonres.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   general libthread questions [Was: Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux]

--nextPart2385571.kYEufHTgeg

Am Samstag, 11. Juni 2005 10:00 schrieb Robert Watson:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Steve Roome wrote:
[...]
> - Thread package.  In 5.x, you get process scope threads by default, but
>    it turns out MySQL is tuned for system scope threads, and this is
>    particularly visible in the supersmack benchmark, which competes many
>    client processes against a few server threads.  I'm not sure what the
>    condition is of libthr on 5.x, but you could give it a spin.  In 6.x,
>    libthr has been largely rewritten and is a great deal faster.  I
> think there's a compile-time option to make libpthread use system scope
> threads but the details ellude me.  The Linuxthreads library may well
> provide a substantial improvement -- not as good for MySQL as the 6.x
> libthr, but perhaps much more appropriate than libpthread.

OT, but can someone please gvie me a link which describes the pthread and=20
lib_thr stuff. And how would I tell a port to compile with a specific=20
threading library (if my understanding is correct)? Maybe one can name=20
typical applications for specific threading libraries?

Thanks a lot,

=2DHarry