Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 19:58:34 -0700
From:      "Aaron Peterson" <aaron@alpete.com>
Subject:   Re: mysql-4.1.0?

> 	Hi,
>
> 	Can anyone give me the magic incantation to get mysql4
> 	running and howto set up the admin acct?
>
> 	I am trying to get phpbbs running on my domain and test
> 	several other BBS and message-board apps that require an
> 	SQL database.  For the time being I'm wedged, so any
> 	help or pointers to tutorials would be very welcome.
>
> 	tia, y'all,
---

install mysql-server from ports or pkg, whatever your choice.  after
installation execute "/usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db &&
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start"

after that, you can set the root password with
"/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'newrootpassword'"

to enter the sql shell and talk to the database interactively, you can
then use "/usr/local/bin/mysql -u root -p" after which it will ask for a
password and drop you at a mysql shell console prompt.  to create a new
database there you might try "create database phpbb" after which you can
create a user with permissions only to that database from localmachine
with "grant all on phpbb.* to phpbb_user@localhost identified by
'phpbbpassword';"

then when you configure phpbb, you would use database name "phpbb"
username "phpbb_user" and password "phpbbpassword".  mysql operates on
port 3306 by default and the server name would be "localhost"

hope that helps.  you should really buy a book on mysql or visit the
docs on the mysql.com site if you use it any more than i just described.