Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:15:14 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Port Authoring Questions

Is there a way to express a dependency which says something like,
"this program requires Python 2.2 *or later*".  I don't want to
have to modify the port every time Python changes version, but I need
at least version 2.2 in place for the port in question.  "USE_PYTHON=yes"
does not appear to guarantee any particular version of Python.

In a similar vein, I want to make sure the correct version of Tkinter is
installed. At the moment, I am using this:

BUILD_DEPENDS=${PYTHON_SITELIBDIR}/_tkinter.so:${PORTSDIR}/x11-toolkits/py-tkinter
RUN_DEPENDS=${PYTHON_SITELIBDIR}/_tkinter.so:${PORTSDIR}/x11-toolkits/py-tkinter

Again, this does not specify a version - i.e., That this version of
Tkinter tracks the Python 2.2 or later release.

I've looked in the Porter's Handbook, and can't quite seem to find what
I need here. Any ideas?