Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:58:43 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: tmux(1) in base

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:09:55AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu> [090921 06:10] wrote:
> > In article <20090921130346.GY21946@elvis.mu.org> you write:
> >
> > >I think he already explained that it's supposedly much better than
> > >window(1) with a kinder license than screen(1).
> > >
> > >We really ought to ship with a screen(1)-like program.
> >
> > sudo pkg_add -r screen
> >
> > Problem solved.
>
> WORKS GREAT ESP WHEN NETWORK IS DOWN AND SOMEONE NEEDS MY HELP.

Well I don't imagine that either screen or tmux are much use when the network is down.

> WORKS AWESOME ON REALLY OLD MACHINES WHERE PACKAGES NO LONGER
> EXIST.

Adding anything to base *now* isn't going to help those machines, either.  It'll just ensure
that it isn't available in ports, where it *might* be useful.

> Note: Apple, which cares more about a usable userland unix than
> we do at this time has screen installed in base as well.

Yeah, but they also include python, ruby and a full GUI e-mail client, so that's not really
much of a comparison.  Well, NetBSD ships with X and a bunch of extra things too, so there's
clearly room for disagreement on where to draw the line.  Personally, if the network is
working well enough to ssh into a box, then it's probably working well enough to pkg_add
whatever you need.  It's not as though screen or tmux are in the same league as ssh (or even
telnet) when it comes to shipping a system that is "useful" out of the box.  Just IMO.  FWIW.

Cheers,

--
Andrew