Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 18:29:19 +0400
From:      jadream <jadream@chat.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Am I crazy ot libc is not working? (atof())

Hi!

I'm at the point of boiling after 10 hours trying to understand why
under FreeBSD 3.2 at x86 generic machine in C-file compiled with default
gcc without any specific clues standard lib function atof() is
malfunctioning.

double  res;

res = atof("266738911.0");

res can be zero or someting less then zero or some "magic" value like
10011000.000000.

Just can't get what's wrong?
can't believe in such a stupid bug in libc. Maybe something more
complicated?

Any ideas are welcome.

Don't blame me if it's an obvious thing - may be I really need some
medicine :0)

Alex Komratov