Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:55:31 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Micha=EBl_Gr=FCnewald?= <michaelgrunewald@yahoo.fr>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd questions general <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bad sectors: how bad can it be

Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:05:39 +0100, Michaël Grünewald <michaelgrunewald@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> I have however a question: How do I verify that
>> a hard-drive is accurately working if its firmware will hide the bad
>> sectors as long as possible?
>
> I think the smartctl program from ports/smartmontools is
> a good tool for such verification. As far as I understood,
> it can read internal error logs from the firmware.

Hi, following your suggestion I used smartmon to get access to the SMART
data. I have run an extended offline test (with-t offline I think). The
test reported no error (!) and the bad sectors are now read/writeable
(!!). Is it safe to think the problem is gone?

# smartctl -l selftest /dev/ad10

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%       458
      -
# 2  Extended offline    Aborted by host               70%       456
--
Best regards,
Michaël