Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:55:23 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <whistle.com!julian@minas-tirith.lms.ru>
To:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@minas-tirith.lms.ru>
Cc:        freebsd.org!questions@minas-tirith.lms.ru
Subject:   Re: Appletalk on FreeBSD

Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We're currently running Netware 4 server at our office, mostly
> as AppleShare. We thinks on using FreeBSD instead, and tried both
> netatalk and CAS. CAS uses bpf, and thus extremly slow. Netatalk
> is faster... but it gives 460 kb/sec at best, while Netware gives
> 600. Does anyine know any faster AppleShare server? Has anyone
> tried FreeBSD as AppleShare server on heavy loaded network (we're
> planning to install 100 Mb from server to switch, and ~30
> PowerMac's on 10 Mb's)?

unfortunatly, while Appletalk is faster than CAP, it is still a
user process, and is therefore still not terribly fast.

the Appletalk protocol does not help in the way it works however..

at THIS time the netatalk package is the best FREE server..

You may be able to improve netatalk with some tuning of the system
(e.g. mounting the disk async or noatime)

There are however bugs to do with routes.
I am working on these bugs today.

julian