Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:50:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        katerina@voyager.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help with maxusers

The handbook at www.freebsd.org/handbook provides lots of information
on building a kernel.  The documents part of www.freebsd.org provides
information on most FreeBSD subjects.

You may be running into a hardware limitation.  What is the
motherboard and network interface?  How much memory?

pty is /dev/pty*.  How many of these do you have? 'ls /dev/pty* | wc'

To build a new kernel, you need to edit a config file, do a
configuration and make the kernel.  The configuration file is the
output of 'uname -n'.  I will use {kernel name} for this file.

There is a file, /sys/i386/conf/LINT that contains all known
definitions for configuration and lots of comments.  I normally look
there when I change things.

as root

cd /sys/i386/conf
vi {kernel name}  <== I prefer to use emacs

You should find some lines like
#
# The `maxusers' parameter controls the static sizing of a number of
# internal system tables by a complicated formula defined in param.c.
#
maxusers        10

This is the number you want to change.

Now,

config {kernel name}
cd ../../compile/{kernel name}
make depend   <== always do this
make
make install

then, reboot

If I can be more helpful, please let me know.