Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 17:55:46 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Unix-Solutions - Steven <steven@unix-solutions.be>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /31 on 2 interfaces

Unix-Solutions - Steven wrote this message on Wed, May 17, 2006 at 02:10 +0200:
> I have 2 servers with both 2x 'em' interfaces in it.
> I configged a /31 on both interfaces
> em0 in box 1 = 10.0.0.1
> em0 in box 2 = 10.0.0.2

As someone else mentioned even if you did a /31, those addresses aren't
on the same network...
254 & 1 == 0
254 & 2 == 2

Hence different networks.. the other thing is that you can't have a /31
due to the fact that one ip w/ all the node bits set is the broadcast
for the network causing other sorts of troubles...  the smallest usable
network is a /30...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579