Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:27:39 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Hi Anthony!

On 20 Nov 01 at 11:19 you wrote:

> Robert writes:
>
> > Perhaps this was due to your buggy VIA
> > Southbridge, mentioned in another
> > thread, IIRC?
>
> That same "buggy" hardware runs Windows flawlessly.

VIA has released drivers for Windows that work around the hardware
bugs. That is why this buggy (sans quotes) hardware runs Windows
flawlessly.

As they (VIA) don't want to release information of what is actually
wrong with the 686B southbridge, the people who make other
operating systems can't do much to write similar workarounds for
these systems.

My information is some weeks old, maybe things have changed in
the meantime.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Atheism is a non-prophet organization.