Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:45:18 +0200 (EET DST)
From:      Achilleas Mantzios <mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apsfilter and the loss of hair...

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Keith Leonard wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Have checked the resources at the FreeBSD site and have finally given
> up. I surrendered to the inevitable and finally bought the 2.2.7 release
> and book and upgraded from 2.1.5 (which I love - although never got
> apsfilter to work there either - I'm really dense, they'd have to create
> a new lower level of 'Dummy' books just for me.)

Its in the ports/print collection.

> First attempt to make apsfilter gave me the 'missing Imakefile' problem
> which the BSD site answered. Then the 'NO_CHECKSUM=yes' for tfig (I
> think), not locating jbigkit (even after installing the binaries), then
> a whole bunch of 'mangled...' for the 6th dependancy program then hours
> of download (at 56K), compiling and then a string of 'Errors.." which at
> 2 AM started to blur and then I noticed the clumps of hair clenched in
> my fists ...
>
> My question:
>
> Is there an easier way to get apsfilter working (I can't find a binary
> of the program.)
>
> Sorry for the bother but I really liked apsfilter on my old L**ux
> machine and would like to use on this superior OS.

apsfilter is a script that calls many filter programs
(html2ps, a2ps, jpeg2ps, etc...) and then produces
postscript output which passes directly to the printer
(if postscript) or passes the postscript output to ghostscript
which in turn drives the specific printer.

BTW if your first attempt prints something like (bad resolution or
something)

the go to /etc/apsfilterrc and correct the last line.

Cheers,
Achilleus