Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 09:30:19 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        perry@vishnu.alias.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need Help with Sony CD drive

On Mon, 08 Apr 1996 07:44:23 -0500
John Perry <perry@vishnu.alias.net> wrote:

perry> 	I just installed a Sony CDU76S CD drive that included a
perry> Adaptec 1515 SCSI controller card. I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Similar set-up here: Same CD, but on I've got it on a NCR SCSI controller.

perry> I can mount the FreeBSD CDrom using mount_cd9660 without any
perry> problem. (That's what I got it for). But whenever I try to play an
perry> audio CD using any of the audio CD player apps (cdplay, cdplayer, xcd,
perry> xcdplayer, etc.) it doesn't work. For instance, when I try cdplayer, I
perry> get an error message. Here is a sample run:
perry>
perry> vishnu:perry {105} cdplayer
perry> CD>play 1 2
perry> cdplayer: Invalid argument
perry> CD>
perry>
perry> 	I can then run dmesg and the following error message is in the
perry> log:
perry>
perry> cd0(aic0:3:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:26,0 Invalid field in parameter list

Exactly the same behavior for me. :-(
(your forgot to mention that EJECT *does* work :-)

perry> 	Does anyone know what these errors mean? Can someone help me
perry> with this problem? I have a SCSI CD drive on my machine at work that
perry> uses the ahc0 kernel driver and the cd0 device and I don't have this
perry> problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was hoping someone may have hacked up support for this by now, but I
have no idea of the difficulty involved. Here's one reply to my plea
for help.

[From Julian Elischer]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 16:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

    SONY believe they know better..

    so they didn't impliment the standard SCSI-2 audio commands
    but used their own..

    (I mean no-one uses these devices without BIOS support right?)

Bummer: no joy.