Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 16:31:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        Brett Glass <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, E00114@vnet.atea.be, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple COM ports with same IRQ

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Brett Glass wrote:

> > maybe you can tell me how an EISA/ISA box solves the IRQ sharing problem
> > for ISA devices.
>
> It doesn't.

Of course not, it was rhetorical.

> Only EISA devices or E-ISA devices can share IRQs.

I think you misunderstand (and why wouldn't you now that you've removed
the context of my message :).  The original poster wrote:

  ISA boxes can have hardware installed (accidentally?) with devices
  sharing the same IRQ, but the drivers cannot deal with it.

I responded with a spiel about IRQ sharing with an ISA bus being an
electrical constraint, not a driver constraint.  Bruce responded with...

  That's why he only wanted to share them for EISA/ISA boxes :-).

Now help me out if I just don't get this, but the text I had quoted
was about ISA, my followup was about ISA, and then I was corrected(?)
because the original poster wanted to use EISA/ISA boxes (yet I was not
discussing EISA at all).  I didn't understand why it was relevant
that the sharing was being done on an EISA/ISA box.

Alex