Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:44:41 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI differences 4.10 - 5.3, laptop problem

> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:07:00 +1030
> From: "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
>
>    0n Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:05:46AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>    > Looks like the same processor I have and you can try adding:
>    > options	   CPU_ENABLE_TCC
>    > to your kernel. This enables the P4 Thermal Control which will let you
>    > throttle the speed of the CPU without ACPI. Use the hw.p4tcc sysctls to
>    > manage the speed.
>
> Kevin, why don't you use 'C states' for the afforementioned ?
> Throttling reduces CPU performance. I thought it would be better to
> use C1,C2,C3, states. Or does fbsd ACPI not support C states yet ?

C states are used in ACPI, but they provide minimal reduction in power
consumption, This is especially true if you have USB drivers present as
they block ever getting to C3.

ACPI does support CPU throttling, but this is not too different from the
TCC throttling. (NOTE: TCC and ACPI CPU throttles are independent. Setting
TCC to 13% and the ACPI throttle to 4 results in about 6% of full
speed. This is just a bit painful!)

In any case, the issue was rapid battery drain when ACPI was not present
and TCC is not dependent on ACPI. It's always there for P4s.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)