Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 650 MB MFS?

:
:Are there any design limits to mfs?  I want to use cdrecord to write to a
:dozen or so CD's at once, and fear making lots of coasters if I run them
:all off a single on-disk file.  However, a CD only holds 650 MB, so it
:seems like I could have the image on mfs and sleep well sans coasters.
:
:Would FreeBSD handle an mfs of this size?
:
:Thanks!
:
:--- David Miller

    Well, if you have 650MB of ram available... I suppose.
    Otherwise MFS is just going to shove the data into
    swap.

    The answer is, yes you can create an MFS partition that
    large.  You have to make sure that you have sufficient
    swap available and that your datasize resource limit is
    big enough.

    So, checklist:

    * You will need 650MB of swap, possibly even more.
      (unless you have 650MB+ of ram in your system)

    * from csh, 'unlimit data' then type 'limit' to
      see what your maximum datasize limit is.  You
      may have to reconfigure your kernel to increase
      it:

      options                "MAXDSIZ=(1024*1024*1024)"

    * Look into using the VN device instead of MFS.
      VN allows you to create a 'disk file' and then
      turn it into a partition that you can then
      mount and use normally.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>