Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 15:04:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        peter@nmti.com, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gritching about serial port naming, plus Digiboard driver Q...

> As it is I find it rather disconcerting that if I have a BB2016 in addition
> to the 4 internal serial ports, the BB ports are "sio4-19" and the tty names
> are correspondingly screwed.

You could do what DEC does and have device names that have no relation to
the minor numbers. That would waste fewer minors, too.

I like the upper-lower distinction for dialin/dialout ports, myself, and it
makes things nice for PS and friends. It's not like anyone's going to run
on an ASR-33 or adm-3a without a lowercase ROM and get \ in the output...

> > > Is there anyone else besides me who is looking at putting lots of serial
> > > ports on a BSD box, by the way?

> > Funny you should mention that. I'm trying to move our current modems (on three
> > boxes running two versions of System V) to a FreeBSD box.

> Any luck?  :-)

Waiting for an Adaptec 1542 (it's an old ISA machine I'm rehabbing) so I can
start the install. I have three Digiboard PC/8e cards I want to use. Do I need
to install 2.1-STABLE to track the digiboard drivers or can I stick the new
drivers in 2.0.5 (this has a bearing on whether I spend a day downloading
stuff over our firewall and pissing everone off because it's a PPP link).