Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:01:43 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Steven N. Fettig" <freebsd@stevenfettig.com>
Subject:   Re: backup

> You would need to use piping to restore the backup, though and that can
> get tricky if your new system that you need to restore the data to isn't
> sized the same as the old and isn't using the same version of dump.

Woha, timeout. Are you saying 'dump' produces files in a format *not*
guaranteed to work with 'restore' on another system if it is not running the
exact same version of FreeBSD? Or having the same file system size?

I had always assumed - given that it's a backup tool - that the format of the
dump was portable.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org