Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:28:55 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

> What is happening is a limitation of the PCI code.  Each PCI slot has
> four interrupt lines (INTA .. INTD) and then are normally mapped into
> ISA IRQs.  Since most PCI devices only use INTA, since means there is
> a simple one-to-one mapping.
>
> Introducing a PCI-PCI bridge means that INTB .. INTD will also be used.
> Devices behind the PPB get their INT lines rotated.  This rotation is
> simple (take the device number, add it to the INTx, and AND with 3.
> 0=INTA 3=INTD).  So ahc1 is using INTB and the PCI/APIC needs to how
> to map this INTB line into the APIC irq.

I don't get to map anything, the MB manufacturer does that, I can only read
the MP table and use what it gives me.  The MP table in question shows
no mapping for the ahc0/1 so they remain redirected thru the ISA bus.
Ie, I am expecting them to appear on the same vector levels on the APIC
as they appear on the 8259s.  Could you expand on how the INTA/B/C/D
lines are handled when redirected via the ISA bus?  Specifically, how
does the ahc1 INTB line get tied to the ISA INT line in a normal setup?
--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD