Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:30:06 +0100
From:      Gert Cuykens <gert.cuykens@gmail.com>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer vs xine

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:42:05 -0800, Loren M. Lang <lorenl@alzatex.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 01:59:39AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> > >
> > > How do you convert realmedia to other formats with
> > > mplayer?
> > > Or maybe first: how do you play realmedia streams
> > > with mplayer?
> > >
> > > I have installed:
> > >    mplayer-gtk2-0.99.5_6
> > >    linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1
> > >    win32-codecs-2.1.0.p5,1
> > >
> > > I can't play realplay streams with mplayer.
> > > When I do:
> > >    mplayer -vo x11 "rtsp://some.site.com/movie.rm"
> > >
> > > I get lots of output in my terminal, among wich I
> > > see:
> > >
> > >   Opening video decoder: [realvid] RealVideo decoder
> > >   opening shared obj
> > > '/usr/local/lib/win32/drv4.so.6.0'
> > >   Error: Shared object "libc.so.6" not found, required
> > >   by "drv4.so.6.0" opening win32 dll 'drv4.so.6.0'
> > >
> > > But libc.so.6 is in /usr/compat/linux/lib. Hmm, why
> > > is that not found? I then did
> > >    ldconfig -m /usr/compat/linux/lib
> > >
> > > That helped. I started mplayer again, but then
> > > mplayer crashed, as follows:
> > >
> > > [...snip...]
> > > ==================================================
> > > Opening audio decoder: [realaud] RealAudio decoder
> > > opening shared obj '/usr/local/lib/win32/cook.so.6.0'
> > >
> > > MPlayer interrupted by signal 10 in module:
> > > init_audio_codec
> > > - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
> > >   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your
> > >   drivers _or_ in your
> > >   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault,
> > >   please read
> > >   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the
> > >   instructions there. We can't and
> > >   won't help unless you provide this information when
> > >   reporting a possible bug.
> > >
> > > ==================================================
> > >
> > > Any idea why I've got such problems with mplayer
> > > and real video streams?
> >
> > I never gotten it to work either, a few of the codecs do -- I think the win32
> > only ones, but not the Unix ones from linux-realplayer. I'm sure mplayer/xine
> > being natively compiled while the real codecs are mostly linux libraries via
> > compat must be the problem.
> >
> > If someone wants to fix this, do look at what NetBSD does. They have a
> > seperate real codecs package for it, I'm not sure what they do but their
> > mplayer/xine do work with the rv1 to 4 codecs, and no errors about cook and
> > all.
>
> I've had problems getting mplayer and xine to work with real codecs on
> linux, some error with cook.dll or something.  I think it will only work
> with rp8 or rp9 codecs, but even though didn't work when I was running
> in linux.  I finally gave up and installed realplayer 10 which works
> good in both linux and freebsd.

Who needs realplayer anyway :P

PS when i play a mp3 with xmms i can do as much as i want, it will
never interfear with the playing music. With mplayer i can have for
example a cash size of 10 secondes but after 10 seconds i can manege
to do a buffer underrun.

How i can tell mplayer to do the same buffering as xmms ?