Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:09:40 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device probing...

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I would really like to se us move all the device probe/attach code
> to run in "normal context", ie enable interrupts before we probe
> everything.
>
> The main argument for this is the drivers can then use the full
> complement of kernel infrastructure and interrupts during probe
> attach.
>
> Drivers needs to be able to function in this environment anyway
> if they support removeable devices (pccard, usb, etc).
>
> Are there reasons to not do this I have overlooked ?

Active level-triggered interrupts will repeat endlessly if they have
no driver.  Active edge-triggered interrupts will prevent further
interrupts on the same irq if they have no driver.

Active interrupts with no driver hopefully arren't a problem with
removable devices (after all drivers have had a chance to run).

Bruce