Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:50:57 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GbE NICs besides em (recommendation wanted)

--nextPart1556247.sde3txPsPg

Am Mittwoch, 31. August 2005 10:51 CEST schrieb Dmitry Mityugov:
> On 8/31/05, Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm quiet disappointed with the em nics and wanted to try some other
> > GigaBit NICs (1000baseTX only).
> > AFAIK there are re, sk, bge driven cards. Which doesn't saturate a
> > PIII@800 at 200mbit/s with interrupt load (like em does)?
> > I heard that the re is way better than the not so well rl and although
> > much cheaper than em more efficient.
> > What about bge? Or sk? Any comments welcome, also if I missed a
> > supported family (TX only)
>
> I have a gigabit card managed by re and sk drivers at home IIRC
> (PIII@866, 2xPIII@1400). I can run some tests for you this weekend if
> you wish.

Thank you for the offer, but I thought people had some simple test results=
=20
in mind. If you next time use rdump or large NFS transfers to another GbE=20
connected (and fast enough) box just watch the system load (I use systat=20
=2Dvm 1) and see what card causes what interrupt load. em cards can't=20
transfer (real files over FTP/NFS) more than 200mbit/s on a=20
Coppermine@866, at this level the system load is 100% of which ~80% is=20
interrupt systemload :(

Thanks,

=2DHarry