Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:22:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, kdk@daleco.biz
Subject:   Re: Terry Lamber's "Mr. Bullet Mr. Foot" quote...

Kevin Kinsey wrote:
 > I find it hilarious, but can't find much corroborative evidence.
 > Thomas Sparrevohn uses something very much like this in his .sig:
 >
 >   "It is not Unix's job to keep you from shooting yourself in the
 >   foot.  If you should choose to do so, it is Unix's job to deliver
 >   Mr. Bullet to Mr. Foot in the most efficient way it knows."
 >         --- Terry Lambert
 >
 > A reasonable amount of googling didn't produce a source file for
 > said quote, though, only archived e-mails of Thomas's.
 >
 > Anyone know anything about it?  Context?  When, where, got a URI?

I have Terry's quote in my signature collection for nearly
nine years, but slightly different.  I don't know if your
above version is misquoted, or if Terry wrote that one in
a different posting.  Anyway, this is what Terry wrote on
September 15th 1998 in the freebsd-hackers mailing list:

   |   "If you aim the gun at your foot and pull the
   |   trigger, it's UNIX's job to ensure reliable
   |   delivery of the bullet to where you aimed the
   |   gun (in this case, Mr. Foot)."

Don't know about your googling skills ;-)  but a very quick
search on http://freebsd.rambler.ru (the best FreeBSD list
search engine, IMHO) turns it up as the first hit:

http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-hackers_1998/msg11208.html

 > P.S.  Hope I spelled "Sparrevohn" correctly.  Seamonkey thinks
 > it should be spelled "Irrevocable".... :-D

Don't use spell checkers.  Most of the time they break the
spelling instead of fixing it.  Well, at least that has
been my experience.  Personally I prefer to spend half a
minute reading again through what I wrote before sending
it.  Much better than a spell checker.  Most of my mistakes
are grammar-related, word order or similar, and those
aren't found by a spell checker anyway.  :-)

(YMMV, of course.)

Best regards
   Oliver

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.pl count=1