Date:      Mon, 02 May 2011 09:32:31 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecation campaign

--On May 1, 2011 7:34:06 AM -0400 Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 May 2011 09:40:21 +0100
> Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> articulated:
>
>> On 1 May 2011 08:31, "mato" <gamato@users.sf.net> wrote:
>> > There are usually many users but only a few are ready to become
>> maintainers (for whatever reasons).  So no one stepping up does not
>> really mean no one uses a port.  But ok, I'll try to see what I can
>> do for ports I might care about..
>> >

>> They could always pay someone.
>
> You do realize that many here would consider that blasphemy. While it
> might be advantageous, like so many other capitalistic concepts, it
> is not likely to get a foothold in this gal=C3=A8re.

I think there was a greater underlying point.  FreeBSD is a volunteer=20
project.  Lots of people would like to have all sorts of functionality that =

isn't presently available or save things that aren't maintained.  Yet few=20
want to volunteer to do the work.  (In my experience that is normal human=20
nature.)  So I took Chris' response to mean, step up and take=20
responsibility if you don't want it to go away.

I became a port maintainer because there were things I needed that weren't=20
available.  Rather than asking someone else to do it, I took on the=20
responsibility myself.  That's how it's *supposed* to work.

--=20
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst