Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:47:37 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Christias <christias@gmail.com>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <marco@beishuizen.info>
Subject:   Re: "amr0: bad slot x completed" and fsck_ufs hanging

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:18:27 +0100 (CET), Marco Beishuizen
<marco@beishuizen.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems with my new dual xeon with an Intel scsi raid
> controller (SRCU42X). I installed FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE on it.
>
> First I get a message in my dmesg saying: "amr0: bad slot completed". After
> that fsck_ufs tries to run but it keeps hanging. In top it's state is
> "getblk". When I then try to reboot, the computer even hangs during
> shutting down because it can't kill some processes (fsck_ufs I guess).
>
> After resetting the computer I get of course messages that some filesystems
> are not properly dismounted, FreeBSD boots, fsck_ufs tries to run and
> hangs again, I get the message "amr0: bad slot x completed" again, and
> everything starts from the beginning.
>
> I think it has something to do with my SCSI controller. Has someone an idea
> what is happening here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marco

Hello,

the only hint I could find is from the amr(4) man page:

  amr%d: bad slot %d completed

  The controller reported completion of a command that the driver did not
  issue.  This may result in data corruption, and suggests a hardware or
  firmware problem with the system or controller.

Do you have a second controller available to test? We have the same
controllers in several of our servers and I would interested to find
out what is the problem just in case..

Regards,
Panagiotis