Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:09:56 +0700
From:      "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asus S510UQ Elantech touchpad support

A few weeks ago, I posted to questions@ with an overview of FreeBSD
running on an Asus 15-S510UQ.  All works well, except the mouse/touchpad
which does not work at all.

Looking into this more, the touchpad appears to be an Elantech device of
some sort, maybe a 1300 or 7001 series.  When I boot OpenBSD on a USB stick,
there are messages to that effect.  OpenBSD appears to support this device
in their wsmouse and usb_hid drivers.

Is there any development of this here in FreeBSD?

If not, what would be the best approach to getting support added, in
terms of what existing driver mods are needed and what new ones?

	-jr

-- Reposted from feeebsd-questions@ on Thu Mar 22 14:48:58 UTC 2018:

Just put FreeBSD 12-CURRENT on an Asus VivoBook 15-S510UQ and I'm very
happy to report that almost everything works with simply minor config.

System overview (all working):

CPU:	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (1992.09-MHz K8-class CPU)
Mem:	8Gb (expandable to 16Gb)
HDD:	1Tb (Toshiba MQ04ABF100)
SSD:	128Mb (Toshiba THNSNK128GVN8)
Ether:	none
WiFi:	Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 (works on 12-CURRENT)
Video:	Intel UHD Graphics 620 (1920x1080)
Audio:	Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)
Webcam:	Azurewave USB2.0 VGA UVC WebCam

Even ACPI S3 suspend/resume appears to work just fine with video and
WiFi restarting properly after the resume.

The things not working yet are:

Mouse:	unknown type (not yet working)
Video2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX] (not yet working)
BT:	usb device (vendor 0x8087 product 0x0a2b) (not yet working)

I am using a USB mouse for now, which works fine.  The built-in
mouse/touchpad/fingerprint reader is not detected.  Any suggestions for
that would be appreciated.

I have not yet got the NVIDIA 940MX going, but I haven't really looked
into which drivers are needed for that yet.

Finally, there's a bluetooth device too, but I have not yet looked
at that, either.

dmesg:		http://opal.com/jr/asus_s510uq/dmesg.txt
pciconf:	http://opal.com/jr/asus_s510uq/pciconf.txt
usbconfig:	http://opal.com/jr/asus_s510uq/usbconfig.txt