Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 20:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

:
:On Tue, 7 May 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
:
:> We cannot easily compile for two native APIs if we cannot have two
:> different set of 'sys/*' and 'machine/*' files since a lot of the
:> types we want to change size on are defined in these files.
:
:	Not exactly, because #ifdefs can handle this perfectly. Performing
:diffs on different files is a more simple task though.
:...
:Boris Popov
:http://rbp.euro.ru

    #ifdef's are a bad idea for this case IMHO, at least in regards to
    being able to develop the new ABI without interfering with the
    release schedule.  I think it is far less dangerous and far more
    advantageous to simply give each ABI it's own secondary include
    (-I) path (not to mention making the include files far more readable
    post-ABI-changes).  There is absolutely no need to pollute the include
    files with #ifdefs.

    Also we should consider the fact that it may take considerably longer
    for many ports to become 64-bit time_t safe (not to mention uids, gids,
    and so forth).  Doing the ABI properly with a compiler option and default
    setting would allow unsafe ports to be compiled to the old ABI on
    new systems.  The power of this capability should not be underestimated.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>