Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 2009 14:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Voting for a native i386/amd64 flash player

--- On Sun, 10/4/09, jhell <jhell@DataIX.net> wrote:

> From: jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
> Subject: Re: Voting for a native i386/amd64 flash player
> To: "James Phillips" <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>

> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 08:33 -0700, anti_spam256@ wrote:
<Vague specific stuff about an ill-defined video standard>

> So how many different subjects are in here that don't
> thread ?
>
> With all due respect: wheres Waldo ?

Most on-topic is probably the licensing issue: I like the GPLv3, but many BSD users don't like it for the same reasons.

I don't want to publish comprehensive details about my (video format) idea until I have the format defined in a forward-compatible way. AS I am fantasy land, I think that people will try implementing incompatible versions as soon as it's published. The risk is that may happen anyway if my format is not "good enough."

I haven't even done testing to find out how well compression is performed. Second-Worst case (mono white noise), I estimate that loss-less compression will only be able to compress frame changes to ~25% of the original frame size. Lossy compression will be a simple averaging of nearby pixels for (multiples of) ~4:1 compression. Mpeg is supposed to get up to 300:1.

TL;DR: If you have to ask what the point is, it is probably off-topic and I can shut-up now.

Regards,

James Phillips