Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:42:25 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving MySQL Databases

> From: Jason Halbert <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
> To: questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Moving MySQL Databases
> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:42:29 +0000
>
> Does anyone know how to move MySQL databases from one box to another?
>  I am upgrading my server and I would like to move my Qmail and
> Apache databases over.  It would be a nightmare to have to recreate
> them from scratch.

    As long as both servers understand the format of the tables (MyISAM,
    whatever), you can just:
    1) stop both servers
    2) copy the database directories from server 1 to server 2 (put them
       in the same dir where you have the other databases)
    3) start the servers

    the target server should now "automagically" know about the databases.

    oh, and this of course assumes you don't use InnoDB, in which case
    you'll have to transfer the transaction log... but I don't remember
    the details.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
7:37PM up 1 day, 6:15, 6 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00