Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:48:18 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.Org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   wdX: reverting to PIO mode reading fsbn 0 (status 51<rdy,seekdone ,err> error 84<badblk,abort>)

Here's my situation.

FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE as of some time last month.
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard.  VIA MVP3 Chipset.
AMD k6-2/300
128MB EDO Ram.

wd0: UDMA/66 capable 10.2GB Western Digital Harddrive
wd1: UDMA/66 capable 20.2GB IBM Deskstar.

The flags on the controller is 0xa0ffa0ff.

When I boot the system with UDMA mode enabled in the BIOS I get the
following 2 error messages.

wd0: reverting to PIO mode reading fsbn 0 (status 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error
84<badblk,abort>)
wd1: reverting to PIO mode reading fsbn 0 (status 51<rdy,seekdone,err> error
84<badblk,abort>)

The 10GB drive is fairly new and the 20GB is brand new.  I doubt that there
was a bad block (if that is what this error message means in the 1st place),
and also that it would be in the exact same place on both drives.

Does anyone have any insight into this at all?

Thanks,
-Chris