Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:16:36 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        Volker Freiburg <volker@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual PPro & Bt848

Bernie Doehner:
 |> Volker Freiburg:
 |>  |Sounds good, this is one of the boards on my list. Has anybody got it to
 |>  |work with a S3 ViRGE card in directV mode?
 |>
 |> I have been running it on an S3 Virge/VX (STB Velocity 3D 4Meg VRAM) with
 |> XFree 3.2A and 3.3; good card and solid drivers.  Ken Stox has the same
 |> card.  I think Bernie's got a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 on his 486, which is
 |> an S3 Virge (DRAM-based).  So you've got company there.
 |
 |Actualy mine is EDO based.. But I still have a few problems.. Mostly:

Oh, so you have the Stealth 3D 2000 Pro?  Seems like that's the Virge/DX,
isn't it?

 |1. Flicker - (new problem). Now I have pretty bad flicker in X. Don't
 |really understand it because I think the refresh rate is 85 Hz. and I am
 |not interlaced and not exceeding the monitor specs.

Hmmm.  Is this just in the TV window or is this the whole screen?
If the former,
     does it happen when you -disableDirectV?
If the latter,
     1) does this happen all the time or just when the TV is on?
     2) does xvidtune confirm 85Hz?
     3) you said you checked, but might double-check that it's not 42.5Hz
        interlaced you're seeing.

 |2. Wincast will still ocasionaly hangs with IDE timeouts. By far not as
 |bad as before, but still happens.. BUT, I discovered something that might
 |have been causing me problems. I was IRQ sharing between my ethernet and
 |video card. I am trying to get a Digiboard so that I can free up some of
 |my IRQ's.

Nuts, from your previous comments I thought we had that licked on your 486.
Well, at least you can do ximages and the CPU load isn't heavy anymore.  As
Amancio's mentioned, this sounds like a MB chipset issue.  Since the
Windoze S/W works for you, there's evidently something that can be done,
but it might be a difficult find.  It's interesting though that all the
Pentium+ MBs don't see this particular problem.

Randall