Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:21:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUID-Directories patch

> I'm not sure that hackers is the right place for this (current would IMO
> be more correct) but I have to say that I feel Julian has a strong point,
> current _is_ the place for experimentation.  It would be different if the

I think that I already made my points about this about as well as I'm
ever going to make them, so I'll say no more on the topic of what
constitutes proper "experimentation" in -current.  If you want my
rebuttal to this, read my original message again. :)

> code that he's bringing in was non-functional, but it isn't.  The argument
> that it was a small part of the whole, and non-functional even in part,
> could only be made about the older DEVFS, not the SUID stuff, so that

But I wasn't talking about the SUID stuff.

> Is what he's asking to remain something that is very fragmentary? No.
> Is it is going in without prior testing?  No, not according to Julian's

What Julian considers "prior testing" and what we in core consider
prior testing are fundamentally at odds here.  That's all I need to
say.

> I mean, what's the downside of this?  Current isn't stable, that's one of
> it's major attractions to me.  Let's not become too conservative ...

If anything, history will show that we haven't been nearly
conservative enough.

						Jordan