Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:00:44 -0500
From:      "Corey G." <cgaff@flashcom.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

How come these exact procedures are not included in /usr/src/UPDATING
after upgrading to 4.1?  For example, the only mention of "mergemaster"
is when upgrading from 3.x to 4.0 stable.   I do not see any mention of
the exact procedures below in my newly created /usr/src/UPDATING file
after a cvsup to 4.1.

Thanks,
Corey

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 11:32:24PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> At 08:49 PM 7/9/00 -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >Subject basically says it all. "make buildkernel KERNEL=<whatever>" and
> >"make installkernel KERNEL=<whatever>" (or set KERNEL in /etc/make.conf or
> >the environment, where KERNEL is the name of the kernel to build (GENERIC,
> >etc)) are what you should always be using to build your kernels, unless
> >you know what you're doing.
> >
> >This will automagically use the correct build tools for the job, and will
> >solve problems like the one a lot of people are seeing since the binutils
> >upgrade.
> >
> >Summary of Officially Sanctioned Update Procedure:
> >
> >make buildworld
> >make buildkernel
> >make installkernel
> >shutdown (drop into single-user mode)
> >make installworld
> >mergemaster
>
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV
>
> Or is this the reason for the NO_MAKEDEV in make.conf.
>
> >reboot
> >
> >Depart from the above procedure at your own risk. Thankyou :-)
>
> Oh goody!  ;)
>

> Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
> Systems/Network Administrator
> FreeBSD - the power to serve