Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:38:29 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating perl entries in make.conf (via package)

Peter,

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 07:29:25PM -0800, Peter Losher wrote:

> I am updating several 5.x machines, and in the process updating the perl
> packages from 5.6.x to 5.8.x.  What I have noticed is that if you are
> installing a package on a new system, the package installs the symlinks
> in /usr/bin and puts the Perl env variables in /etc/make.conf (as expected).
>
> However, when updating (via pkg_delete -a, then pkg_add or portupgrade)
> the symlinks aren't maintained and the perl variables are not modified.
>  And the use.perl script seems to no longer exist (or I'd just have
> portupgrade run 'use.perl port' after updating the perl package)
>
> Is there a new/better way that perl is updated via packages so that the
> symlinks are maintained and the entries in /etc/make.conf are updated
> with the new perl version?

This looks like a bug;  in my tests package installation did all what you
describe here.  Without knowing your configuration in better detail, it is
difficult to find out why you observe such behavior.

\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen