Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:26:44 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        "stable >> freebsd-stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: load balancer best practices

yeah, you can search for IP_BINDANY. It's a socket option.

-a

On 10 July 2014 06:52, Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au> wrote:
> With the changes in CARP as part of FreeBSD 10 I have some questions abou=
t the best way to do some things.

> 1. On a load balancer (haproxy) we might have the machine handling 100 or=
 5000 IP addresses. It would be simplest to just define a /24 (or more) ran=
ge on the external interface (or in CARP) but then I cannot bind to each ad=
dress.

> Linux has something like net.ipv4.ip_nonlocal_bind. There appears to be n=
othing similar for FreeBSD. Do I need to define a /32 and alias each addres=
s?

> a. is there a cleaner way?
> b. will that cause performance issues if I create many hundreds of /32 al=
iases on the interface?

> 2. If I need to define a large number of aliases in CARP I'll quickly run=
 out of vhids which I understand to go up to 256. What is the real meaning =
of vhid in a CARP definition? Can they be shared by different IP addresses =
on the load balancer pair? That is, can they all be labelled "vhid=3D1" or =
is CARP limited to 256 IP addresses, each of which has to be a /32 (see abo=
ve).

> All the examples in the FreeBSD manual use a different vhid for each IP a=
ddress but doesn't explain why.

> a. If two addresses (aliases) share the same vhid, will that mean they fa=
il over together always? (That might be a good thing for me).