Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2016 10:02:28 -0700
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jasoncwells@fastmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Drive Read Errors

I have a drive that has always been troublesome. My first indication was
that the gmirror would end up degraded and restoring it would be
extremely time consuming. (Excuse the terminology, it has been a while
since I did that part.) I gave up on the drive and removed it from the
mirror permanently.

I recently used smartmontools long test and discovered that the drive
had read errors.

In your experience, is there any value in trying to use drive by mapping
bad sectors or partitioning around the errors?

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells