Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:58:39 +1000
From:      "Liam Hudson" <Liam.Hudson@asic.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd pxeboot problem

Hi all,

      Am having trouble with pxeboot on freebsd 5.1. Am following procedure
at http://www.tnpi.biz/computing/freebsd/pxe-netboot.shtml (relevant bit
pasted at bottom). This procedure states to create an empty 25Mb file using
dd, make a fs out of it (disklabel/newfs/mdconfig), then rsync the contents
of mfsroot to this fs. This is then used as the rootfs on the pxeboot
client (set vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/md0c). When I try this, the client
hangs forever on "boot" in loader.rc.

However, if I simply create a fs using mdconfig and use this on the client,
it boots to sysinstall ok (ie gunzip mfsroot.gz; mdconfig -a -t vnode -f
mfsroot -u0). I can even mount this fs before I pxeboot and put an
install.cfg file there. However, when the client reads it, it hangs when
trying to mount server:/usr/local/export/freebsd to install the
distribution ("Mounting x.x.x.x:/usr/local/export/freebsd over NFS on
/dist").

I tried exporting the /usr without -ro but no difference. Suspect there is
no room on the mfsroot fs more mounting nfs (since I haven't got a 25Mb
file). Has anybody set this up before. I have seen somebody else had this
problem on freebsd list, but no response.

Any help would be appreciated. (Do I summarise back to this list?). Thanks

       cd /usr/local/export/pxe
       dd if=/dev/zero of=mfsroot bs=1k count=25000
       mdconfig -a -t vnode -f mfsroot -u0
       disklabel -r -w md0 auto
       newfs /dev/md0c
       mkdir -p /mnt/mfs
       mount /dev/md0 /mnt/mfs

 There, now we've got 25 megs of space mounted on /mnt to play with. The
 basic rule of thumb here to keep in mind is that you are building a root
 file system for FreeBSD. Everything the kernel, sysinstall, and your
 install programs needs from the root file system is what you need to have
 in your /mnt directory. To get started we'll copy the contents of the
 distribution mfsroot.flp to our new mfsroot:

       mkdir /mnt/floppy
       mdconfig -a -t vnode -u 1 -f
       /usr/local/export/freebsd5.1/floppies/mfsroot.flp
       mount /dev/md1 /mnt/floppy
       cp /mnt/floppy/mfsroot.gz /tmp
       umount /mnt/floppy
       mdconfig -d -u 1
       gunzip /tmp/mfsroot.gz
       mdconfig -a -t vnode -u 1 -f /tmp/mfsroot
       mount /dev/md1 /mnt/floppy
       rsync -avzH /mnt/floppy/ /mnt/mfs
       umount /mnt/floppy
       mdconfig -d -u 1