Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:34:38 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        lachlan@lkla.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Error using Mailman on FreeBSD. How to debug?

Lachlan Michael wrote:

># su mailman
>This account is currently not available.
>
>I'm not sure about the syntax but limits -U mailman doesn't seem to make
>the user mailman, but just use the class default.

su -m mailman

will do what you want.  However, to be sure what your limits are, I
would stick ulimit -a in the script that starts mailman, just to be
sure.  If the output from that is reasonable, and it doesn't seem to be
messing with limits anywhere, then that's probably not the problem.
Perhaps it's something about the attachment itself.  Can you try some
different, similarly sized, attachment?

How big does the mailman process actually get?  top will tell you.
Python and mailman presumably came from ports?  Last I looked, python
had a build option HUGE_STACK_SIZE which I've needed for some apps in
the distant past, IIRC.  Can you re-install python with that opt and see
if it helps?  (It's just a SWAG, and could be wrong!).

--Alex